*Main spoilers for Bodyguard episodes 1-5*
As ridiculous as Bodyguard continues to be, the massively widespread BBC thriller continues to enthrall with its seemingly infinite twists, turns and talking-points.
Episode 5 gave us quite a few extra questions to mull over ahead of Sunday’s finale, and there are all method of theories floating round, as viewers try to work out the thriller surrounding the assaults on Julia Montague – and the wider conspiracy.
Listed here are eight of the most fascinating theories, along with proof for and towards them being right.
- 1 1. Highly effective criminals – not the safety providers – had Julia killed
- 2 2. Intelligence bosses have been conspiring to oust the Prime Minister and exchange him with Montague, however one thing went ‘wrong’
- 3 three. Montague was betrayed by Hunter-Dunn and Longcross, as a result of she went towards their scheme, or discovered one thing out she wasn’t supposed to
- 4 four. The Prime Minister himself ordered the bombing
- 5 5. Tom is the leak in the police, and has been passing info to the terrorists/conspirators
- 6 6. David is affected by a dissociative dysfunction – and should unknowingly be concerned in the conspiracy himself
- 7 7. Vicky’s thriller ‘boyfriend’ is concerned in the conspiracy
- 8 eight. Julia Montague isn’t truly lifeless
1. Highly effective criminals – not the safety providers – had Julia killed
Luke Aitkens – might the mob boss have been the one behind Montague’s dying? (Photograph: BBC)
In episode 5, we came upon that a main felony underworld determine named ‘Luke Aitkens’ could also be concerned in the conspiracy, having been seen driving round Julia Montague’s former assistant, Chanel, and in different suspicious places. Was it him who had the House Secretary killed?
- Aitkens seemingly embedded Chanel with Montague, or enlisted her whereas she was working for the Residence Secretary. Probably as a spy, or means of discovering out delicate info.
- Andy Apsted used a black market rifle in his try to kill Montague. Precisely the type of weapon well-connected criminals might present. To bolster this principle, Aitkens attended the veterans’ assembly Apsted and David have been current at in episode one.
- Montague’s surveillance invoice would have been an excellent hindrance to organised crime. So Aitkens and his ilk had a robust motive.
- The surveillance cameras have been lacking footage at the scene the place Montague was bombed. That is one thing we’ve come to affiliate with Longcross – suggesting safety service involvement.
- Assassinating a high-ranking politician with a bomb is a large danger for organised criminals. Perhaps an excessive amount of of a danger. Maybe they merely needed info.
- Having the ability to circumvent safety and plant the stage bomb would recommend means past that of mere crime bosses. Until that they had inside assist.
2. Intelligence bosses have been conspiring to oust the Prime Minister and exchange him with Montague, however one thing went ‘wrong’
The slippery head of the safety providers appeared shut with the Residence Secretary. However did he activate her? (Photograph: BBC)
The murky machinations of safety chief Stephen Hunter-Dunn and his chilly, calculating covert operative Longcross are arduous to pin down. However there’s a risk they have been trying to assist Montague seize energy, just for one thing to go awry.
- Hunter-Dunn and Longcross gave Montague the information exposing the Prime Minister’s scandals and cover-ups. Why would they do that, until they needed her to use the info?
- Hunter-Dunn appeared eager to work intently with Montague and advance the safety service’s involvement over that of the police. Her surveillance invoice and political goals would work in his favour.
- Longcross was recognized by Nadia as the man who gave her husband the practice bomb. Maybe this was half of a plan to sow worry, and advance their goals for larger powers.
- Longcross’s involvement in Montague’s assassination is implied by lacking surveillance footage.
- Hunter-Dunn appeared alarmed by the information she was going to meet the PM at Chequers.
three. Montague was betrayed by Hunter-Dunn and Longcross, as a result of she went towards their scheme, or discovered one thing out she wasn’t supposed to
Did Julia bitter her relationship with the secret service? (Credit score: BBC)
As David recommended, it’s potential the cosy relationship between the House Secretary and the secret service broke down for some cause – they usually conspired to kill her.
- Longcross’s involvement in Montague’s assassination is implied by lacking surveillance footage.
- They’ve been protecting tabs on David and his household, which suggests shadowy motives towards the man who was her fundamental line of defence.
- They’re decided to monitor down the information she had in her possession.
- It’s potential Julia was going to make the info public, towards their needs, or had came upon they have been (probably) concerned in the practice assault.
- The switch-around from shut working relationship to having her killed appeared sudden and sudden.
- Why belief her with the compromising information, solely to then bump her off?
- Hunter-Dunn has accused the police many occasions of having a leak that has compromised Montague, and he could also be proper. Why achieve this if he needed her lifeless? Until that was all the time the plan?
four. The Prime Minister himself ordered the bombing
Was the Prime Minister behind the bomb that killed Julia Montague? (Photograph: BBC)
We all know Montague went to meet the Prime Minister, John Vosler, at Chequers. It has been prompt she was blackmailing or threatening him over his corruption and cover-ups. Did he have her killed to save his personal pores and skin?
- Vosler is linked to claims of sexual assault, drug-use and monetary corruption. Making certain these remained underneath wraps can be foremost in his thoughts.
- Being a corrupt politician with hyperlinks to previous crimes, maybe he wouldn’t be above commissioning homicide. Both by way of the safety providers, and even the likes of Luke Aitkens.
- Rob MacDonald insisted that he, Mike Travis and Roger Penhaligon have been merely requested to publicly embarrass Montague by the Prime Minister. Until this was only a cowl story conjured by the PM.
- Asking Hunter-Dunn to carry out such an act, or legal parts for that matter, can be massively dangerous.
5. Tom is the leak in the police, and has been passing info to the terrorists/conspirators
Tom’s interfering obtained David suspended (Photograph: BBC)
In the most up-to-date episode, David’s police colleague Tom exhibited some moderately suspicious behaviour. Maybe he’s a ‘mole’ serving shadowy forces.
- Tom conspired to get David taken off lively obligation, simply as he was making headway in the case.
- We all know that somebody leaked Montague’s journey itinerary, the place David’s youngsters go to faculty and so forth. It had to be somebody with entry.
- Tom was current for the bomb assault on Montague, and appeared to look responsible/angst-ridden afterwards.
- Tom’s behaviour in the direction of David might be motivated by real concern for his colleague, who clearly has psychological well being points – and shock over the assault which claimed the lives of the Residence Secretary and a fellow officer.
- Louise appeared to know the place David had hidden his gun, and was stunned when she didn’t discover it. Might she, actually, be the mole we’d least suspect?
6. David is affected by a dissociative dysfunction – and should unknowingly be concerned in the conspiracy himself
David has had a troublesome time, psychologically. Is he indifferent from actuality? (Photograph: BBC)
David’s devastating PTSD was an early focus of the collection, he confirmed nice emotional battle in the direction of Montague, and there are clearly occasions the place his connection to the conspiracy and psychological state increase worrying questions. Some, together with members of our Display Babble dialogue group, have theorised that David is in reality affected by a dissociative dysfunction – and is forgetting probably nefarious actions he has dedicated.
- David’s psychological state has been fragile to say the least. Particularly in early episodes.
- Somebody switched out the bullets in his hidden gun for blanks. Is it attainable he did this in a fugue state, with out realising what he was doing?
- David is related to Andy Apsted, simply occurred to be on the practice the bomb was on, was current for each makes an attempt on Montague’s life, is being monitored by Longcross, and is underneath suspicion by Deepak. The narrative wonders of excessive dramatic licence? Or one thing extra?
- David has himself been in danger each time there’s been an assault or assassination try.
- If he was complicit in the conspiracy, why would terrorists goal his youngsters’s faculty? (In fact, the practice assault and assassination makes an attempt on Montague could also be utterly unrelated).
- The bullets in his gun might have been taken out by Longcross, if he had David underneath surveillance and needed him unknowingly disarmed.
7. Vicky’s thriller ‘boyfriend’ is concerned in the conspiracy
As all the time when one thing minor is oddly dwelt upon in a conspiracy thriller, viewers start to speculate. And there are lots who assume Mrs Budd’s new associate – talked about however not but seen – might be a big determine.
- Vicky’s boyfriend being concerned might clarify how the details about their youngsters’ faculty might have been obtained.
- All the household are beneath surveillance by Longcross. It’s solely believable somebody tried to get shut to her so as to compromise David.
- Being shut to Vicky won’t assist the conspiracy that a lot, provided that she and David are separated.
- Typically a love rival in a drama is simply emotional gasoline for an already troubled primary character…
eight. Julia Montague isn’t truly lifeless
Regardless of Bodyguard’s creator Jed Mercurio apparently confirming he killed off Montague to guarantee a drastic mid-season shift, many viewers – together with one Piers Morgan – stay unconvinced.
She’s NOT lifeless. Are you @Misskeeleyhawes? https://t.co/4A2v0JdrMk
— Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) September 17, 2018
- Roger Penhaligon, her ex-husband, appeared genuinely affected by her demise – and should have been allowed to see her physique, together with the hospital customer who was presumably Julia’s aged mom.
- Any variety of cover-up on that scale would have to have concerned a quantity of very highly effective individuals. Who would have agreed to assist her, and why?
We’ll simply have to discover out in the finale, this coming weekend.
Bodyguard season one concludes Sunday September 23, on BBC One at 9pm
• Have your say on the newest TV and movie with Display Babble, our dialogue group on Fb
Extra Bodyguard articles and explainers:
Questions we’d like answered in the finale – character by character
Bodyguard episode 5: each revelation and purple herring explored
Bodyguard is ridiculous – however I can’t assist however adore it
Bodyguard forged in full – and their different TV exhibits and movies
Bodyguard filming places: how to go to the settings of the drama
Results workforce on Bodyguard reveal results behind that bomb
Why Jed Mercurio was proper to kill off Keeley Hawes’ character
Bodyguard creator shoots down fan principle – and hints at season 2